The famous April fair in Seville kicked off the official feria season in Andalucia and from now on you can find ferias throughout the regions every week until September. At this time of year you are never far from a great Spanish party!
All these ferias have a few crucial things in common – flamenco music, lots of sherry and dancing all week long, with activities day and night. The day feria is held in a designated feria ground and has little “casitas” or huts where different groups organise celebrations. Each casita will have a stage, a bar, tables and chairs and space for dancing and play music. Many of them have delicious tapas to enjoy and you will see the whole community out celebrating. In the evening there is a fair with lots of rides and activities and the music turns to pumping dance music late into the night.
If you want peace and quiet and to get away from it all Ferias are not for you, but if you enjoy the buzz from the throng of crowds, the loud beats of music and the atmosphere of a raucous celebration then you’ll love it. Seeing the whole community in their flamenco finery and enjoying themselves is a great treat and certainly a taste of real Spain. Plus it’s always organised in a dedicated feria area, so you can always find peace and quiet elsewhere. Just remember to check out what days are the bank holidays during the week, as all the shops will be closed.
Around our hotel there are a few great ferias to enjoy and here are the rough dates for 2016 –
- Marbella feria takes place around the saint’s day on the 11th of June and is a weeklong celebration of the patron saint San Bernabe
- The Nueva Andalucia feria takes place towards the end of July
- The Luna Mora festival in nearby Guaro is a wonderful time when more than 25,000 candles fill the village during the weekend of the full moon. This candle lit festival includes a large market, stalls, activities and entertainment in September and is magical. The exact dates haven’t been announced, but last year it was the 11th and 12th of September
- Istan’s Feria San Miguel takes place on the weekend closest to the 29th of September
- The Ojen feria takes place at the beginning of October, with the main day being the 9th of October
- San Pedro de Alcantara feria is in the third week of October
The biggest and most famous feria in the region is the Malaga feria in August. Malaga is under an hour away from our hotel and the most spectacular of them all.
The exact dates for these ferias are announced closer to the events, but if you’re looking to book your trip now please check with us and we can give you the latest information. Our hotel is a great base for travelling around Andalucia and enjoying everything this great region has to offer. Come and take part in a great Spanish feria this year!